This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Friday, March 22, 2013

TECHNICALLY COLOR

Yo my friends,

Melissa and I went to a local Art Festival this past weekend and there were some very good artists exhibiting - one artist in particular caught my eye.  As most of you know, I LOVE COLOR AND TEXTURE - to me it is what painting is all about.  The artist that caught my eye was from MIAMI and she came into this world without a FEAR OF COLOR!!!!

Sooooooo that said - and I just said it - the artist that caught my eye did very large - very very very colorful "MIAMI" type tropical pieces soooooooo I said to myself "Self - go home and try some of this style for yourself, adjusting it to fit into your own style."

"TECHNICALLY COLOR"

18 X 24 ON HEAVY LINEN PAPER- done with a big brush - (2 inches) - and my trusty buddy "MACK THE KNIFE!"  

I pulled out all the stops on this piece in that all and any caution was thrown to the wind and working wet into wet with every ounce of emotion - gusto - and spontaneity in color and knife strokes I let the paint fly and land where it landed!   :>)  VERY LIBERATING!!!


First I throw in my sketch - pencil lines to show "where" & "direction"  nothing fancy as you know, I always go outside the lines --- I'm a non-conformist - :>)


Next using a 2 inch brush I throw in a vertical sky as the painting is going to be vertical in orientation so why not a vertical sky!!




Next using my palette knife I put in the horizon line indicated by the darker vision of the ocean 


Again, with my trusty buddy "MACK THE KNIFE" I put in the ocean and of course make sure to include that Caribbean green that everyone loves


When I threw in the sky I painted around the palm tree trunk and of course I won't stay within the sketched lines anyways so accuracy was not an issue
At the same time I use the palette knife to put in a trunk and throw some cast shadow onto the sand





NOW - this next part requires that I work very quickly in order to get a good blending of color as I apply it wet into wet so I did not take any "progression photos" as time is of the essence!
Once again this is a painting about COLOR & TEXTURE  found in paintings in this area of Florida straight down and over into MIAMI and down into the KEYS - if you know MIAMI - you know MIAMI is know for and proud of its COLOR & TEXTURE.



Now I throw in the sandy beach using my palette knife with strokes that use the whole swing of the arm

WE NOW HAVE A FINISHED PAINTING DONE IN A LOOSE PAINTERLY FASHION 
EXPRESSING THE COLOR AND TEXTURE OF MY VISION OF 
"MIAMI ART"



Close ups of the bold - colorful - MIAMI induced palm fronds
 - look at this long enough and your blood will start to BOIL, you feet will start to TAP and move and get HOT - you'll want to take off your shoes and before you know it you will be up doing the MIAMI SALSA!!!

SI AMIGOS




Hope you enjoyed this little demo as much as I did when painting it.

Until next week about this same time - stay loose - embrace color - start the hips rolling and get into the MIAMI SALSA!!!!!!

JR     :>)