This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

HERE A PB - THERE A PB - EVERYWHERE A PB

Well, I did not do too much yesterday - I started a painting but I'm not quite ready to show it to youse guys just yet.

In the meantime I shall digress as I seem to do that as often as I paint! :>)

The PB's (potential buyers) of Real Estate remind me of another group of people we have come in contact with. We lived in East Boothbay Maine, a small coastal tourist town where I had my own gallery. For several years it was lots of fun and to my surprise the gallery did quite well. It was a lot of work but for the most part an enjoyable experience. In the art world there are PB's as well.

When people are on vacation, they love to spend money and most of the time they are impulse buyers and we all know you can't come home from vacation without buying THINGS!!!!

A subset of the ART PB group are the "We'llbebacks." This is a term that we made up and used quite often in our reign as gallery owners. But first I digress further............................

Maine has what they call the "Cottage Industry" - a wonderful concept of selling "stuff" made in Maine. Basically a home owner can sell anything created by any family member living in the house. Of course any town/city rules must be complied with. This is how our gallery was born - we converted a carriage house on our property into a gallery and I sold my paintings and my wife Melissa sold her photographs. We did this for about 7 years. Oh yes - The We'llbebacks!!!

These are people who would come into the gallery and Ohhhhh and Ahhhhhhh over paintings or photographs - most always the woman - then of course there was the DH - not Darling Husband BUT ---- DREADED HUSBAND!!!! They normally stood around with a pissed off look and gave the wife dirty looks as well as dirty looks to me. I always wanted to say "I DID NOT FORCE YOUR WIFE TO COME IN HERE!!!!!!!" I had a chair outside the front door that had a sign "FOR HUSBANDS" - would they sit in it and wait for the DW - of course not, they just wanted to irritate me and get the DW out as fast as possible. After several dirty and discussed looks, thrown at DW, and of course blowing through the teeth she would get the message and start to make an exit rather than take a chance at upsetting the AH husband!

Without fail the DH would be out the door first and when the DW reached the door she would turn around tilt her head, bat her eyelashes, a flash of sadness would drape her face and she would say "WE'LLBEBACK!"

People from NY were impossible!!! People from NY BUY NOTHING!!!!! In 7 years of owning my gallery, I never sold any thing to a NEW YORKER!!! They exist for no purpose other than to irritate the rest of the world! I remember one couple - like it was yesterday. Let me set the scene - HE DID NOT WANT TO BE THERE -- She wanted to be there. Action - Roll it!

With no exaggeration, she had picked out 4 paintings that she could not stop looking at or Ohhhhh-ing and Ahhhh-ing about. This process took about 30 minutes, with a few "technical" questions for me and some basic tourist - local chit-chat. Her husband I can only assume did not talk! Finally the big question came - the search for DH approval of a purchase. She asked her husband which one of the four he liked. Simple question - his answer was "NOT A DAMN ONE!!" He looked at her and his face said "We leave now or I'm going to kick your butt back to the Bronx." She turned - shrugged her shoulders - did the tilting of the head, the batting of the eyelashes, the facial flash of sadness and said "WE'LLBEBACK!"

Tomorrow------I'LLBEBACK" :>)