This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Adobe No. II - Canyon Road - Santa Fe New Mexico

Many of the adobes on Canyon Road are OLD - I'm taking very,very,very old.  Some of them so old that the exterior is mud-clay-with hay mixed in.  These ones require constant maintenance year round.  Others are newer and consists of a stucco material.

Some of the older adobes have 1 - 2 foot thick walls and the interior walls are stucco finished with a diamond finish which is as smooth and shinny as a new baby's butt!

18 x 24 - heavy linen paper - Chroma Interactive acrylics - alla prima - wet into wet - brush & palette knife.

I start this painting out with a quick sketch using a brush and some watery paint.  This allows me to be loose.



I throw in a sky and some sky color down onto the ground and the adobe - why?? Because the color of the sky actually does reflect down onto the ground!!!  Trust me - it's true!!!



I throw in some additional color to start developing lights and darks and shadows




Adding more color and ground clutter and foliage around the top of the adobe.
At this point I'm not liking the windows on the right side and the roof line is getting a bit confusing so I need to make some changes.







Sooooooo - I change the roof line and I add a chimney and I enlarge the small windows on the right and I apply a heavy paint texture on the exterior using a palette knife - I also add a "soldier" course of bricks at the roof line - a lot of the older adobes have this as part of the construction 





Finished

Rustic Old Adobe
18 x 24