This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Sunday, May 15, 2011

PAINTING STYLE

I've been asked many times "Why do you paint in an expressionistic style with at times a lean towards splashes of semi-abstract within passages of the painting?"
I have a friend, a professional artist, and I once asked him why he paints in an expressionistic style.  His answer was "Because I don't have to be so damn exacting!"

This made perfect sense to me!!!

I have another friend who paints in a very realistic style and we like to joke that if there is a crooked line in one of his paintings - it is a mistake ------ conversely ----- if there is a straight line in one of my paintings it is a mistake!!

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate and to a degree envy those who can paint in a very detailed realistic manner - however THAT IS NOT ME!  I do not have the desire or the patience to labor over a painting and make it 99.9% perfect and near photo realistic.  This would only bring stress into my work and when all is said and done I paint for enjoyment and am a firm believer that paintings should have:

Bright-Bold-Sassy color

Splashes of movement within shadows and highlights that DANCE

Paintings should project happiness, fun and above all provide visual enjoyment for the viewer

Splashes of shadow and highlights should guide/direct the eyes of the viewers through the painting as if on a guided tour - the object being to try and never have the eyes of the viewer leave the painting.

I also believe that there needs to be unfinished passages in a painting that the viewer be allowed to finish - again, viewer interest needs to be of concern.

Of course within style, emotion - gusto and of course RUSTICITY ( ya gotta love that word) enters into and to a degree dictates the movement within a painting.  The more of these three elements the more expressionistic and loose the painting becomes.

Another painter friend, a professional artist told me "A painting with out emotion is just a picture."

As far as detail goes, I have to say that I find it boring and there is a saying in painting regarding detail: ----Less is MORE.

Therefore expressionistic style and loose is what I enjoy.