This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Thursday, June 30, 2011

COMPARE & CONTRAST

Yesterday - Wednesday was as are all Wednesdays MY DAY OFF!!!!! Wednesday has been MY DAY OFF since I retired 16 years ago! It is also laundry day so I start the day out doing laundry and in between putting the dirty ones in the washer and the clean ones in the dryer, I ---------- you guessed it ------ I PAINTED!!!!

Sooooooo I started 2 separate paintings as sort of a "Show & Tell." In past posts I've spoken about my love to paint with a palette knife and the feeling of power and the gusto with which I can move that knife around the canvas. Painting with a palette knife for me is a very emotional and expressive experience. I always stand when I paint with a palette knife as I paint with lots of arm movement generated from the shoulders. I'm like a crazy man - but you knew that already!

I always paint with music playing and the choice of music and the volume is based on the subject of the painting as well as my general spirits.

My other style of painting is that of RENDERING. This I have to say is not a style that I overly enjoy as it aggravates the arthritis in my painting hand. Lots of cramping takes place and sometimes I have to stop painting for a day or two. I paint more with the fingers - hand and forearm for this style - I paint slower - and there is a tremendous amount of color blending directly onto the painting surface. However I still stand!  Rendering produces a very soft looking painting - almost taking on the look of a pastel painting. Softer - Quieter - Peaceful - Rendered.

I decided that I would do one of each style so they can be seen together and you my Blog Buddies can compare and contrast the individual styles.

Soooooooooo without further delay -------- OH ---- just a quick minute -------- a quick story that just flashed thru my mind. When I first started painting I painted with watercolor and did that for about 12 years. I was, for a short time painting in a style that produces vignettes - a style whereby the paint and the scene is only carried out to a portion (small section) of one of the four sides of the paper, with a lot of the white paper surface never being touch with paint. I was in an art show and a women was very interested in one of my vignette pieces. Her daughter was with her and she asked her daughter what she thought of the painting. The daughter said "I don't like it at all - LOOK he didn't even finish painting it!" Before I could explain the style, they both walked away! Ahhhhhhhh the life of an artist.

I KNOW - I digressed - I'm working on that issue - be patient!!!!!! I'm retired and deserve a break once in a while. When I use this retired line on my DW (RV lingo for Darling Wife) she says "Nooooooo ------- you are retarded!" Ahhhhhhhh the life of an artist!

OK off we go --- first the expressive - emotional palette knife piece done with spontaneity of color and form with an unending supply of gusto.

8 x 8 on canvas panel
"Bartlett Shadows"







As with most of my palette knife paintings there is not a lot of progression photos as these paintings develop very quickly due to the real estate (still have the sale of our house on my mind), that can be covered with the use of the knife.
The following photos will show the application of Globs and Blobs of color with thick juicy paint done as always in an expressive and emotional style.
CHARGE!!!!



WOW!!!  HOW QUICK WAS THAT!!!!





WE ARE VERY CLOSE TO BEING DONE!

TAAAAA DAAAAA DONE!



DETAIL






I think you can see the thickness of the paint and the sweeping full arm strokes using a palette knife with spontaneity of color and form.
NO Terry that is NOT a FRUIT FLY on the pear!!!!!

*******

Next will be the RENDERING painting which gave me way too many hand cramps - arthritis SUCKS!!!
As mentioned this piece will not have the expression or emotion of the previous painting and will appear softer - quieter - more peaceful in its presentation.
8 x 8 on canvas panel
"THE BOSC"
A little Bruce Springsteen humor :>) 

Got to get the glare off the white surface taken care of quickly!



This will be a pictorial presentation of the development of color blended directly on the canvas surface wet into wet - done very slowly and softly with extreme caution not to create MUD!!  Sounds stressful doesn't it - IT IS!!!!








Add some BG & FG a few tweaks here and thar, dress up the highlights and we are TAAAA DAAAA -- DONE!