This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Friday, June 17, 2011

QUESTIONS ABOUT MY PROCESS

On occasion I get questions via email or blog asking about some of my processes - by that I mean how I do things.
First let me explain some basic facts and I would not want this information to get spread around and be made available to everyone!!  So we will just keep it between us - OK - OK - You like -- I like!  Remember that guy on TV who use to use his hand - thumb and forefinger, with lips painted on them and pretended he was talking to this funny looking little mouth.  He use to be on Ed Sullivan Show a lot (for those of you old enough to remember Ed Sullivan.)  :>)
He had sort of a funny foreign name - I forget it now (starting to sound like the DR. visit the other day!)  Whoops I digress again - I've got to stop that :>)
As I've mention in the past I paint Alla Prima - meaning start to finish in one sitting.  I do this when the painting takes 30 minutes or 5 hours.  I love to blend colors directly on the painting surface.  I do not premix my colors - I don't even use a palette.  My process is the same for brush or palette knife - I call it squeeze-scoop-apply.  I squeeze the tube of paint, scoop the paint from the top of the tube and apply with brush or palette knife.  I sometimes put 2 different colors on the brush or on each side of the palette knife.  My methods are not very standard and people (especially painters)who watch me sort of think I'm crazy!!  it's an under breath whisper thing shhhhhh (what in the hell is he doing?)  I taught myself how to paint and not knowing any differently, this is how I taught myself and by golly it works for me!  I tried using a palette and I get all screwed up!

I started a painting today and it is mostly palette knife work and at times I have to stop painting and let the paint cure a tad and I tend to put in on thickly and the blending process can be touchy in that one can create MUD - YES ---the dreaded MUD - if blending too much wet into wet or blending the wrong colors together.  Did you know if you mix complimentary colors together such as red and green you get a GREY!!!  Pretty cool huh!!

Thus far this is where I am:  This sheet is 18 x 24 heavy linen canvas paper and I hope to generate a painting called "Native American Water Pitcher"  This pitcher is part of my Native American Pot collection which I am very proud of.  I am very fond of Native Americans and according to my Grandmother I am part Native American and we all know that Grandmothers DO NOT LIE!  RIGHT?  RIGHT!!  I could digress now but I will pass on the opportunity!  :>)
As in the past we will start with the BLANK CANVAS!!!



As always I throw on some color so I'm not blinded by the all white surface.  This is done with a big brush and I will add done in a very sloppy manner - I don't believe in staying inside the lines.  When I was a kid this irritated the teachers, so I kept doing it!!! LOL

Neutral Color



Now with palette knife in hand and a very concentrated mission of applying paint quickly wet into wet with gusto, expression, emotion, spontaneity and of course the ever present RUSTICITY - I slap it on glob after glob after glob!
I've mentioned before that things happen quickly with a palette knife as more territory gets covered more quickly - so PLEASE DON'T BLINK!!!



DETAIL



Once these globs and globs of paint firm up a bit, I will add some more color, do some tweaking and finish it up!

OKAY OKAY I'M BACK!!!

I had a bowl of blueberry yogurt with a whole bunch of fresh blueberried mixed in.  I just love blueberries and buy big containers of them at Sam's Club.  But that is a story for another time.
I threw some more paint around - added more color to give the pitcher a "rustic" look of "HEY I've been around - I've been used - look at me - I've got some age on me!"







Next will be the BG and FG and I think that may be tomorrow as I'm getting ready for a nap and the main portion of work was done Alla Prima so if I wait on the BG & FG no one will know the difference and we won't tell anyone WILL WE!!
OK? - OK? YOU LIKE - I LIKE
:>)