This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Friday, November 11, 2011

DUNES No. IV

Hello again Blog Buddies,

I do not often post twice in one day but as I say my DW Melissa is back on the east coast getting ready for her book signing tomorrow - sooooooooo painting is what I do - Tis me own ting!!!

This is the 4th in the series of 5x7 ocean/dune scenes.  2 were done on heavy linen paper - one done on a 5x7 gallery wrapped canvas and this last one done ( or should I say DUNE) on a canvas panel.  All of them are 5x7, inspired by another RV-er who I met on an RV web site.  I thank her for the inspiration to paint in such a small format.  My arthritis in my painting has started to kick in so this will be the last in this series - (for a while anyways!)  :>)

Time to break out the Ben-gay!!!

I started this one in the normal fashion by throwing in the sky.  My intent in the piece was to create (paint) the atmospheric visual presence of an incoming storm over the dunes.  I think I did just that but I will leave that up to the opinion of my viewers.  Don't be afraid to leave a comment.

Soooooo once again OFF we go!  Remember, think INCOMING STORM!!!


Not too many photos in this presentation - I mean hell it's only 5x7 - a brush full of juicy paint covers a lot of surface when working that small!

I create the sense of a choppy sea - not too choppy - I mean it's an incoming storm not a friggin hurricane!  :>) 



Some of that sense of a stormy sky needs to project down onto the dune surface.  Remember our discussion on LOCAL COLOR and how the sky reflects down on the ground - well let's do just that!



Ah-ha!!!!!!  REFLECTED LOCAL COLOR!!!  GEEZE  that looks pretty good!
GOOD JOB JR!!!

OK now to make some sense out of what the grasses would look like with this approaching storm.  I have to tell you that this part is not easy --- trust me IT'S NOT!!!  We can't make the grasses too dark as they won't show up against the ocean and the grasses need to extend upward so they are in front of the ocean - I mean that's just the way the world is!!!
Take notice of that horizontal stretch of white-ish cloud as well as a white reflection of the cap of the wave.  They are there for a reason - to give me artistic liberty to have these two slices of light reflect onto the grasses.  Again REFLECTED LOCAL COLOR!!
This did require some thinking ahead on my part and as you folks know I do not like to do a lot of thinking --- now I have a headache so I shall finish up post haste forth with!

BAM------DONE !!!



See the splashes of orange on the grasses - that is the use of comlimentary colors (blue & orange) which a while back you folks learned that the use of complimentary colors makes its compliment color POP!!  Trust me the BLUE IS POPPING!!!!
The orange on the grass in the center is drawing attention (pointing) to the white capped wave which is pointing back to the land!
The eye of the viewer should not go off this canvas!

Well - enjoy the evening - I'm going to take a power nap (don't tell my DR.)  he thinks if one naps there is a medical condition lurking within!!!  Dumb ASS!!!!

Later my friends  JR  :>)