This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Monday, August 8, 2011

3 PUEBLO POTS

Well, today is Monday and Monday means it is "Time to clean the Pool Deck."  This saying for those of you who do not know comes from our extended stay in La Paz Mexico this past winter.  I won't explain it as I can hear some rumbles from folks out there saying "OH Crap here he goes again with the digressions!!!!"

I finished cleaning the house around 10AM and decided to throw some paint at my easel.  I had intended for this to be a palette knife painting - HOWEVER - after starting it I like the softness of the pots so I used my "SAWED OFF BRUSH."  I will digress at this point because I think it is important - it's my blog - so I decide!!!!

My "SAWED OFF BRUSH" is a large (in width) brush that I chopped off the first almost inch of bristles.  This makes it a STIFFIE (hee-hee) brush in that it still has some bend to the bristles but not a lot.  I can use this brush as a modified palette knife in that I can leave some identifiable brush marks on the surface.  Another benefit to this is my hand does not cramp up as quickly as with my normal brushes in a RENDERING style.

OK - here we go - this is 11 x 14 on canvas panel:



OK - ZIP -ZIP we (I) get right to it today.  I just throw color at the canvas and generate some shapes that speak to me.  Very much like yesterdays painting but I've added one more pot.  I have this set up in front of me so I have something to look at go by.  However I never make the painting exactly as the setup, I like to improvise.



OK - time to add some more color to get a road map going for the direction I want this painting to take.  Beats me what direction that is - but we'll just push forward and see where we end up - HA - IMPROVISING!!!!




Time to add some depth of shadow and play around with the opening of the clay pot - the trick is to give the illusion of looking into the pot - I could tell how how to do that but then I'd have to watch your demos and THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!
I kind of like the earth tone on the larger pot - I did not know what color I would make it when I started this.  I'm an earth tone person in case you could not tell.
The pot in front of me is red - so BEIGE tones it shall be!!!



I've blended in some blue for the shadow color next to the clay pot.  The reason being blue is the compliment of orange so when placed next to one another in this case it accentuates the orange.  Accentuate is the word of the day - make sure to use it in a sentence!!!



Closeup of the ACCENTUATION of the blue and orange side by side.  Can you see how the orange is ACCENTUATED ??  Better yet can you spell ACCENTUATION?
HEY FELLA NO PEAKING!!!!!



Time to add some highlights and deepen the shadow side of the pots

It is also time to wrap this one up as I need a NAP!!!!

So we shall add a BG & FG as well as tweaks here and there.



BAM - WE ARE DONE!!!!!!