This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Monday, August 22, 2011

POTTERY & FRUIT

Hello Blog Buddies,

Well I cleaned the house this morning and then I jump into my studio - turned up the music and finished the painting I started the other day.

The is 11 x 14 on canvas panel and is done partly with palette knife but mostly with my "STUBBY" brush AKA --- STIFFY.  You might remember, this is a brush I created which will allow me to use it in a palette knife fashion - yet -  leave brush marks which I think adds to the texture of the painting as well as the identification of the artist.

So I'm just going to get right to it, without any fan fare - announcements - or general irritating BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.

Well maybe just a tad - you will notice that I've once again gone to the complimentary color concept to make things POP - of course the complimentary colors are red & green.  HEY-------- YOU IN THE BACK ------- if you don't like my at least giving just a little explanation - feel FREE TO LEAVE THE ROOM!!!!!

OK now that HE is GONE -- I shall proceed forward in an uninterrupted atmosphere!!




As you can see, I've given the pot, bowl and the fruit more definition, and depth via the use of darkness in the shadows and texture to the fruit.  


I throw a bit of color into the FG as well as some reflected color back onto the bowl and the beginning of reflected color from the orange back onto the pot.  It is very important to tie all the components together - with the light coming from the right, the orange would have to reflect onto the pot - without that little touch, this section of the painting would be flat and YES b o r i n g!



The rest of this will go quickly now - I add some BG and also some highlights to the fruit and the bowl and the pot.  You will also notice that I added some DOWNWARD reflected color onto the bowl from the apple as again the light from the right would cascade some to this color to the reflective surface of the bowl.  Plus it gives the illusion that the apples are somewhat slightly over the edge of the bowl.  Cascade is the word for today - please try to use it in a sentence.  :>)

From this point on, it will be what I call
 "TWEAKING ON THE FLY"

This means I make adjustments in color - depth - movement without a real preplanned notion - it happens very quickly as I see an area to my eye needing a PUNCH - a POP!!



We are pretty much done now - I'll put it in my "viewing corner" for a couple of days to see if anything jumps out at me.

Detail for those who just have to see the detail!!!  :>)


Later my friends JR.......................................