This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CERAMIC & GRANNIE SMITHS - FINI

Good Morning Blog Buddies,

We we got some snow overnight and off and on snow showers this morning.  Not a lot of accumulation thus far and I hope it stays as such.  The good part is Yoga classes are cancelled this morning so my DW gets to stay home - which I enjoy!!!!
YOGA teachers are really quite the sissies in that the slightest hint of snow and they cancel their classes!!!!

So while my DW is catching up on her email and her blog writings, I played around with my latest painting and pretty much finished it up.

When we left off yesterday, I had worked on the small jar with the lid and the top of the red vase.  The finishing process consists of tweak here and thar as well as shadows from the apples so they are "seated" to the surface they sit upon, as well as the introduction of the BG & FG and jabs and stabs and swooshes of paint here and thar.

Sooooo let's finish this painting:

The shadows cast by objects need to be darkest at the base of the object casting the shadow and they should get lighter as they proceed away from the object.  Shadows also need to have "LOCAL" color present within the shadowed area else they will be BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.  Splashes of color are so important in shadows.


The remaing photos will show the progression of the completion of this painting - you will not notice changes in leaps and bounds as this process is little tweaks here and thar to lighten - darken - clarify and make areas of the painting POP.



Here you can see a hint of local color in the shadows (such as the grey of the jar on the surface)  well as the darkness of the shadows cast by the apples and jar.  Without the darkness of the cast shadows the apples would look as if they were "floating" in space.




Although the light source is coming from the right, the red vase and green apples will cast some "reflected" color onto the surface upon which they sit.  As mentioned before, color being reflected and "bouncing about" brings UNITY to the painting and ties objects together.

OK --- all the Blah-blah-blah aside - this painting is 99% done - I can see a minor adjustment to the top (viewer right) of the red vase.  I normally set a painting aside in a corner of our TINY UNIT and glance at it off and on for a couple of days, make notes and then make any adjustments/tweaks I feel necessary.




Well my friends - enjoy the day - be kind to yourselves and to others - go out of your way today to make someone SMILE!!

JR  :>)