This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Saturday, December 3, 2011

MORNING-MORNING

Hello Blog Buddies,

Well my DW is off today for another book signing - actually at an artisans show with all sorts of wonderful gifts for Christmas from hand made jewelry to clothing and of course
The Christmas Village Novel!!!!  :>)

Sooooo I decided to work on "The Tides Of March"

I digress---------We lived on the rocky coast of Mid-Maine for about 20 years give or take a year or two that I may have purposely forgotten about.  I tend to think for me --- it was TOO LONG!!!!  YES----it is beautiful, it is quaint - all the little fishing villages and LOBSTA all the time.  The weather however can be very depressing - at least to me.  As most of you know------I do not like rain - cloudy days - freezing rain - sleet - snow and most all other weather happenings that do not consist of temperatures 75 or above and bright sunshine.  HEY - it's me - it's what ya get!!!

My favorite saying while living in Maine was:  "It's Memorial Day - It's raining - It's 4th of July - It's raining --- END OF SUMMER!

Having spent a lot of time next to the ocean, it used to amaze me as to the different moods the ocean and its surroundings could take on during the various seasons.  On the sunny days ( usually August 21 & 22nd) the ocean was a beautiful blue , with sparkles of sunshine dancing on the waves and the reflection of the sun on the sand could be wonderfully blinding.  I do have very fond memories of Maine.  I can remember days that my DW Melissa and I would walk down to the beach at 8 am and stay there until 6 pm or so - actually until it got so late we kind of looked stupid sitting there - besides which the sea gulls started taking over the beach looking for morsels of fried clams and summer food the people left behind some on the sand - but most in the trash barrels.  Ahhhhh YES fond food memories and when we go back there on our RV journey the first thing I get is some fried clams LOBSTA and CRAB.

March - in New England can be a ferocious month weather wise and in some ways can reflect the colors and the sense of autumn.  The winter wants to hang on yet the daffodils want to bloom and normally get snowed on just as they bloom.  The sky can be dark with tones of deep blue-gray and slivers of promising light with the sun trying to break through.
The sky on a dark and gloomy day as well as a bright sunny day has a great effect on the color of the ocean - sand and the vegetation on the beach.  Dark & gloomy sky brings about a dark and gloomy ocean and land mass.  SORRY - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS - I don't make the rules!  :>)

THEREFORE - we stop the digression and proceed with the "Tides Of March"

Painting done with big brushes and the ground clutter done with a fan brush.  This is where we left off the other day:




OK - where do we go next with this?  My intent is to show the effect of the tide going out or coming in - which ever way you want to look at it.  We also need to tweak up the ocean to have the ocean reflect the "MOOD" of the sky - as I mentioned the sky has a big effect on the tones of the ocean and the land mass.  It's way up there but it does provide "Reflected Color" to what is below it"



With this in mind, I create the illusion of the sand being at the edge of the ocean - so again - tide coming in or going out - your choice.
I also add some reflected gloomy mood to the area



Next we have to start getting some of the "ground clutter" painted in and create the mood of the clutter as controlled by the sky and ocean.


The source of light is coming from the sliver of light trying to break through the ominous sky so in a sense the ground clutter is "BACK LIT"

I've left a space in the ground clutter showing access to the ocean as well as some of the remaining ocean water is still somewhat present in this area.


The biggest purpose for this opening is to allow the eyes of the viewer to proceed PAST the ground clutter out onto the wet sand.

Now for some "cleanup" - tweaking and what I call "HOUSEKEEPING" which is just what it says - cleaning things up and making them presentable.  During this phase I have to look at the sky - the effect it had on the ocean - the effect the ocean had on the ground clutter and the effect the ground clutter has on the sand behind it.

HOLY CRAP - TOO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT!!!

I'm getting a headache :>)


TAAAAAA-DAAAAAA
DONE!!!!!!





Showing the "housekeeping" process is not something that I can photograph as it happens by chance.  Meaning I do an adjustment/tweak here and there - step back and do more adjustments/tweaks.  During this process, I stand back an arms length from the painting surface - additionally my brushes have long handles - 12 - 13 inches long - my extended arm measures about 30 inches (NO I"M NOT A MONKEY!!!!)

So when all is said and done I'm about 3.5 - 4 feet back from the easel doing the "Housekeeping" from a distance which is visually enhancing.

Besides which a lot of my secret techniques take place during this process and I'm not about to reveal those!!!!!

OK - enough with the BS!!!!!!

Closeup for my anal buddies who have to see everything - as I say YA GOTTA LOVE EM!!!!



Background - Middle ground - Foreground 

Take care my friends and remember during the upcoming Holidays bring joy and happiness into another life - perhaps someone you don't even know - just someone who needs a "pick-me-up" - perhaps just a hug would change the day for this person.

JR  :>)