This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Sunday, March 4, 2012

CONVERGING ON SPRING DUNES

Hello Blog Buddies,

Well, I did a painting this morning - a quick one wet into wet on 11 x 14 gallery wrapped canvas - painted out onto all 4 sides - therefore no framing is necessary.

This was done with emotion - expression and a tad of gusto in the wave action.

Big brush used for all but the dune grasses which I used my trusty FAN BRUSH which gives great texture and motion to the grasses.

"Converging on Spring Dunes"
11 x 14

I first - as is normal start out with a blank canvas and quickly put in some horizontal guide lines for the horizon and the dune area


Next I throw in the beginning of the sky with my big brush and lots of paint.
Not rocket science yet is it!!!  :>)



Next I put in the horizon line with the distant "end of the ocean" distinguishing the parting line (horizon) from the sky and ocean.  I also put in some indications of nice distant clouds above the horizon - this adds to the illusion of depth of the piece.
When I put in the darker ocean color at the horizon, I drag down some of that color to soften that horizon line so it is not a "HARD" line - that also adds to the illusion of depth.

I also introduce another shade of blue in a more "WATERY" fashion

I'm giving away a lot of secrets here but HEY I really like you guys!!




Next I start to develop the ocean in the middle ground and introduce another shade for the ocean - that being - Bright Aqua Green.  This is the color of the ocean in the dune areas of S. Carolina and the closer the ocean gets to the land area and to the viewer eyes, the LIGHTER it becomes.  WHY you ask???
Because the light colored sand reflects upward and the sun shines down through the shallow water and the results is a lighter-brighter ocean color.

Most importantly I start to build two waves that determined the title of this piece as these two waves are "CONVERGING" onto the dune shore line.

GEZZZZZZZ more secrets given away!!!  :>)

Look at that awesome "wave foam" I generated - that is a secret I will never give up!!



OK - this baby is going to get wrapped up as I'm just giving away too many of my many secrets and pretty soon you guys will be painting your own ocean scenes and will drop me like a HOT POTATO!!!!

I start to develop the dune grasses with my FAN brush in quick upward strokes using a dry brush technique with emotion in my strokes - when you paint you have to have emotion otherwise BORING!!!!!!



The shading of the grasses and the reflected shadows of the grasses onto the sand I am not going to show you how that is accomplished - I just can't show you everything!!!
You need to figure out somethings by yourselves!!!!

As "they" say --- always keep them guessing and coming back for more!!!
:>) 

BAM!!!!!!

WE HAVE COMPLETION!!!



For my ATTENTIVE blog buddies

HOW HE DO DAT????





Well - I hope you enjoyed this demo as much as I enjoyed doing it - this is but a preview of some of the scenes I will be doing plein air in places like
S. Carolina - Nova Scotia - Quebec Canada - Cape Cod - Florida

I will also be giving MINI WORKSHOPS for those who wish to watch me paint and perhaps learn some of my techniques - no charge for the MINI WORKSHOPS.  There will be a jar that has a sign:

 DONATIONS - IF YOU ENJOYED - FEEL FREE TO DONATE - IF YOU DID NOT ENJOY - TAKE A DOLLAR OUT
:>)

All painters have their own techniques and mine are perhaps more unorthodox then most but HEY - I'M ME!!!

LATER DUDES

JR    :>)