This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

SEED POTS

Yo Blog Buddies,

I have a very nice collection of Native American pottery.  Most of it was collected from various Pueblos in Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico.

How many Blog Buddies out there know what a SEED POT IS????

A Native American see pot is a pot of various sizes with a smaller than normal hole centered in the top of the pot.

The definition of a seed pot is:

"containers that protected the seeds of agricultural plants on which people's lives depended."

The Native Americans as part of their extensive pottery making made seed pots and the smaller the opening in the top the less chance that animals and bugs could invade the contents of the pot and eat up the seeds being saved for next planting.

I bought a very nice hand engraved seed pot made by an 18 year old Indian girl on the Santa Clara Pueblo in New Mexico - I bought it at the 2010 Indian Market which takes place every August here in Santa Fe.  Many, many Pueblos throughout the USA exhibit in this show.  All artist are juried into the show with a very extensive jury process which assures only the best Native American artists are presented.

My collection is now in the BIG STORAGE BUNKER  :>(  as it would not travel very well in the RV.

I started a painting this morning after the laundry and housekeeping and I had every intention of it being QUICK - LOOSE AND 10 DEGREES THIS SIDE OF SLOPPY!  However that said - and I just said it - once I got started I got lost in the process and found my self being very careful and I hate to say ANAL over its creation!  My mind and hand wanted to produce something well removed form
QUICK - LOOSE - AND 10 DEGREES THIS SIDE OF SLOPPY!!!  Being part Native American I have a very strong calling to Native American culture.

Sometimes my mind and painting hand team up and do something that I'm not part of!!!

Tomorrow I shall show you the generation of:

"HAND COILED NATIVE AMERICAN SEED POT"

12 X 9 ON HEAVY LINEN PAPER 

Til tomorrow -

JR   :>)