This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A quiet day Monday 11/12

Yo buddies,

Well, today was a quiet day - started painting outside and then it got windy and the clouds moved in so I did not get as much done as I had wanted.

The first one is an exercise in direction of brush strokes.  That is to say brush strokes can guide the eyes of the viewer through the painting.  In this one, the downward strokes of the palm fronds direct the eyes to the sand - the upward strokes of the grasses direct the eyes to the ocean and the sky.  One thing I need to fix is the right side of the larger cloud on the right is too close to the edge and it guides the viewer eye off the paper.  MY BAD!!!!!!
My intention was that the cloud would direct the viewer eye back to the palm tree - thus creating a "viewer circle" never letting the eye wonder but instead be led around the painting in a circular movement.

The object is to keep the eyes of the viewer on the painting as long as possible in order to develop interest in the painting.  If the eyes of the viewer are directed off the paper or if the eyes are not kept moving around the painting, the viewer goes onto the next painting.


DETAIL


This 2nd painting will be an autumn scene in the Sangre de Christo mountains in New Mexico.
Just got it started before the winds came.  This is sort of a practice piece getting back into the use of my palette knife which I love to use.


DETAIL of knife stroke texture 


Aspen trees are my very favorite tree - very similar to the birch tree but not quite as white in color - more of a muted white.

Take care my friends.


JR       :>)