This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Tuesday, January 22, 2013

GULF REFLECTIONS

Yo my friends,

The work I have left on the pear painting is sort of detail in nature and I'm hankering for a nice "quick big brush slop the paint around" painting!!!!!  

Sooooooo I decided to do just that!!!!  My goal was to spend less then 10 minutes on this piece and just enjoy myself and have some fun.

One thing I'm finding out is here on the Gulf of Mexico with the very bright sunshine and the many, many colors present in the sky, the foliage, the floral, the ground and many other objects influences the reflections.

I found pretty much the same thing high up in the Sangre de Christo mountains in Santa Fe at about 10,000 feet above sea level and I need to adjust for those reflections as I do for these.  NOW------- being an artist ( of sorts ) I love color and to my way of thinking color needs to be pushed - I DO NOT just paint the color I see, I augment it and I punch it up a notch or two - in other words I exaggerate the color to catch the eye of the viewer and to have some fun with color.  Painting something exactly as it is IMHO is

BORING!!!!!  

So with that information as a starting point, in 8 minutes I had a blast and produced what I call

"GULF REFLECTIONS" 
14 X 11
CANVAS PANEL


First I digress - went looking for a light for my easel as the lighting in my new studio sucks - soooooo I found one for under $10!!!!!!!  Dam I'm GOOD!!!



Now back to the topic of this blog post -
The first thing I do is roughly pencil in the shape of a palm tree and its fronds (branches)
I then throw and mean throw with caution to the wind I put in a background that could - might - I hope be interpreted for a jungle like background

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!!!!


I then very, very quickly with a big brush and my trusty palette knife I SLAP in the palm fronds.  The background paint is still quite wet and that's the way I like it!!!  WET INTO WET!!!!    


Now for my anal friends who love to see and try to figure out how I do something, I will show a couple of close ups. I'm sure you can see the caution being thrown to the wind and the freedom of movement in my strokes - I was like a wild man!!!!!
Big brush in one hand and palette knife in the other hand!!!




Detail of the trunk


Now that is what I call having a BLAST in less then 10 minutes - the only thing that may be more fun in less then 10 minutes is eating a piece of cheese cake with strawberries & whipped cream OR 
a hot fudge sundae with pistachio ice cream and whipped cream!!!!

NOW!!!!!!  Do not sit there and say "palm fronds are not that color!!!"  Bring some imagination to the table and realize that color is where it's at!!!!!!  If you want a picture of a perfect palm tree 
GO BUY A CAMERA!!!!!!

All kidding aside - not that I was kidding - I really do believe that the vivid color used in my true style of painting is what makes the painting - as well as the imperfection of stoke which gives life to the piece.

OK - back to the pears - I had my fun!!!!



JR    :>)