This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Tuesday, January 3, 2012

IT's TUESDAY!!!!!

Good Morning Blog Buddies,

Well ----- it's Tuesday and that normally means laundry and house cleaning!!  :>(

I'm happy to say that the laundry is all done and folded and the TINY UNIT is all cleaned and ready to be messed up again!!!!  :>)

Yesterday when my DW got home from work we went up to the Santa Fe National Cemetery (SFNC) for a nice long walk.  While walking, we came across an older (my age) Spaniard gentleman.  He asked if we were out for a walk and we replied "Yes."  He said that he normally walks in the mall during the winter months with a few of his friends but since it was such a nice sunny day he came over to the SFNC.  He said "my mall-walking buddies ask why I walk out here in the SFNC instead of the mall.  This is what he said:  "I told my friends I'd rather be out in the fresh air when it is possible and the SFNC is where I'm going to be buried so I'm trying to get acclimated to the surroundings." 

He was not kidding of joking he was so to speak (DEAD) serious!!!  WOW - I was very intrigued with his remark - as here is an older man - I would guess from his appearance most likely early to mid 70's and he is looking mortality straight in the face and saying HELLO!!!!!  I tip my hat to him as I don't know if I can be so progressive in my thoughts of my passing.

In our walks, we have found head stones that for some reason jump out at us - such as the 11 Unknown US Soldiers buried in one area with one marker and other old markers that say unknown child or small boy or Indian boy.  We have become very attached to our walks in the SFNC - most times we don't even talk - it is such a quiet (duh of course it is) place and the uncountable number of identical white grave markers leaves one speechless.  We actually find ourselves say "Hi John - Hi Mary etc as we pass by the markers.  It amazed me as to how many military women are represented as serving in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam.  Such a solemn-reverent place to be.

On our walk yesterday we took a turn going up a big hill that we had not yet gone up - the SFNC has a lot of hills in it!!  At the top of this hill was a section of perhaps 500 ground markers and large sections of multi-level above ground small crypts (cremated remains.)  I would guess perhaps a total of 1,000+

We both stopped in our tracks and said "Oh My."

The ground markers were difficult to see as the following pictures will demonstrate - some organization had placed Christmas wreaths at the markers.  This in and of itself brought tears to our eyes - such a moving scene.  These fields encompass many-many acres.




We try to walk at the SFNC every day that it is possible and I hope before we leave the area on May 1, We can find out some facts and figures about the number of people under these markers.  Some markers represent two people - the soldier and his/her spouse.
Most days we take our walk there is a funeral/burial service going on.  One day two such services were taking place.  This is with full military honors - taps and gun salutes - very, very moving.

I've said it before and I know every city does not have a National Cemetery but if you are in a city that does - go visit it - walk through it - notice some of the birth/death dates.  Say "Hello John - Hello Mary - Hello Unknown Soldier.  At times you can see markings for soldiers 19 & 20 years old - male & female - other times markers for those who cheated war death and lived to be in their 80's and 90's.
We have seen some markers representing 101 years of life.

Well, I'm not sure what the rest of the day will bring - not sure if I will paint as I have some minor RV things to do.  I do know we will go for a walk at the SFNC when DW wife returns from work.  We are going down to Albuquerque on Saturday this weekend as the RV SHOW/BOAT SHOW is there.  Nice to check out all the newest toys and "dudads" for RVs.  Of course it is fun to go into some of the half million dollar RV units 50-60 feet long looking inside like a New York Penthouse.
It will be a fun 3 hours +/- or so and on the way home we will stop at Camping World as I have a list of a few "dudads" that I need to buy for our RV.  Small things but we will need them on our drive back to Santa Fe.

Enjoy the day my friends and enjoy life - it's not forever - smile at yourself and at someone else.

LATER DUDES

JR  :>)