This Land is My Land

This Land is My Land

PAINTINGS FOR SALE??????

HELL YES they are for sale!!! I believe in "Affordable art for the masses!"

Check out my ETSY STORE for original paintings

If you have any questions regarding my paintings you can contact me at rvpainter@gmail.com


Saturday, February 4, 2012

VALENTINES DAY IS NEAR

Good Morning Blog Buddies,

Well, my DW (Rv-er lingo for Darling Wife) Melissa is sitting in her very comfy chair working and writing away at the sequel to The Christmas Village.  And I in my cap ----WHOOPS wrong story!!!!  :>)  I did some research this morning online for a Florida State Park that we want to stay in and I have a couple more to research before the day is over.

I have now decided that I wanted to throw some paint at my easel with vim - vigor - gusto - emotion - expression and tilt the style to the semi-abstract.

Just to give you guys a heads up, VALENTINES DAY is just around the corner!!!!!

This is 10 x 8 on a primed single sheet of canvas done 99% with my trusty PALETTE KNIFE - how I LOVE THE KNIFE!!!!!

"ROSES FOR VALENTINES DAY"

There will be no sketching or pre-drawing or any thought put into this piece before hand - just blobs & globs of paint applied with knife onto the surface - the shapes will be but quick swipes to generate the visual representation of a vase and roses.

STEP 1 - A VASE


STEP 2 SOME FOLIAGE

Some instructional material and artists say when using acrylics you should paint light to dark - OR - is it dark to light??????  I have to say I do not pay much attention to the rules - which most of them were established when Jesus was a little baby!

I put down what ever color be it light or dark that I feel like putting down.  In this case, the source of light is coming from the left so I chose to put down the darker green first so that I get more of a "Layering" of color shades from left to right. 



OK - now time to introduce some variation in color and light/dark - see how the lighter green is "ON TOP" of the darker green - if I had put the lighter green in first the darker green would be on top of the lighter green which makes no since to me based on the direction of the light source.  Soooooo that is why I make up my own rules and do not listen to ancient history!!!!  :>)

"Everybody is an artist!!"



OK - for those of you - (all 3 of you) who are avid followers of my blog - I'm sure you can remember me saying that painting with a palette knife especially on a small surface
8 x 10 is small, the painting will go quickly as the knife covers a lot of canvas in a short time.
Therefore - be it of no surprise to you that the rest of this painting will progress very quickly and I have to say working in my semi-abstract loose style I just do not have time to take progress photos - so hold on and here we GO

In less than 10 swoops of my knife we have roses and we have FG.  When working this quickly wet into wet it is important to keep going so that all the elements can be BLENDED into one another and do not look like individual elements that have been cut out a pasted onto the surface.
See how the base of the vase is absorbed into the surface it is sitting on - no pasted on HARD lines here - the only hard line is the cast shadow of the vase onto the surface.



OK - now we ( I ) throw in the BG - some tweaks here and there and some highlights here and there.  Putting the BG in last I find gives me more ability and latitude to "CUT INTO" the Objects d' Art to fine tune their shapes ( the foliage in this case ) and to even eliminate some of the foliage to be replaced with more BG.  It comes down to the visual sense of the artist at this point.

BUDDA BING - BUDDA BOOM

WE HAVE ROSES FOR MY VALENTINE - MY DW MELISSA


Now - I have not forgotten my "ATTENTIVE BUDDIES"

HOW HE DO DAT?????



Well my good friends - hope you enjoyed this.  Although it is on the verge of semi-abstract for some reason this is where my heart is taking me lately in my painting journey and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it - as I hope you folks are.

Take care - enjoy the day and the weekend.  And remember:

HE WHO HESITATES IS IN DOUBT

JR    :>)